Print this page

How to Claim a Refund of Erroneously Charged $75 Recording Taxes

On March 13, 2018, the Legislature and the Governor amended the new law that imposed a $75 recording tax (Senate Bill 2).

You may have paid this $75 (or multiple $75 charges) to clear your credit because a lien release would not have been recorded without it. You should not have had to pay these charges.

In fact, many citizens were charged improperly, primarily for recording tax lien releases, child support lien releases, even lien releases not related to real property (jet skis, for example). Additional mistakes could be numerous.
Click here to download and print a form letter to request a refund. (See the form letter for other reasons you may be eligible for a refund).

Click here to read the full text of the current, amended law: http://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/faces/codes_displaySection.xhtml?lawCode=GOV&sectionNum=27388.1

Click here to read an article by HJTA President Jon Coupal and Inyo County Recorder Kammi Foote on the SB 2 implementation errors.

If you paid the $75 tax and believe you should not have been charged, you must request a refund in writing. Neither the State nor your county recorder will do this for you. Click here to download and print a form letter you may use to file a claim for a refund. Keep a signed copy for your records.